Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

contest missions GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Discuss any problems with our stockMaps TF2 server and make suggestions for improvement.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

contest missions GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Unread post by Original »

I guess I'm feeling a little bitchy lately. And I know cC is sponsoring the contest but I hate to think that I'm gonna have to avoid the server on tues nights because of the amount of contest missions being released on the daily.

Can't really say I'm digging either of the modes, I thought the ctf maps might be alright. And maybe they will be, but one after another is kindof a bummer. Avanti was kindof a love/hate mode as it was and I think the layout of these and no defining hud/ability to make one compounds the problems.

I don't know, I don't have any suggestions or ideas to make the test days more fun but it seems like mon/tues for the next few months are gonna turn into more of map testing days for non-present authors than it is for testing which maps we want on the server.
That used to be sat/sun morning for me at tf2maps IF I wanted to help test early builds for hours.
I don't think I wanna DL 24 alpha builds of each one of these maps to test subtle differences.

Maybe I'm alone on this though. Just thought I'd bring it up and see how other people feel.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Re: contest missions GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Constantly playing push-CTF maps does kinda bug me, but as time goes by, so do the maps' alpha stages. I like to see how they evolve and get better, but for now every so often we need to break into one of the good beta maps that we have to test. Or at least PLR, which I don't think we got many chances to test (maybe because they're not too good yet).
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

It may not seem like it but I am doing things to insure we don't play the contest maps more than we need to. For instance, we won't be playing any of the contest maps we played this week unless they have a new version by next week.

Trust me, I don't want the play test days to be throwaway days for the server. You can tell by the ratings that people don't really like the game types. At some point I was going to make one of the play test days only run contest maps but that won't happen until closer to the contest deadline.

It's still early. I'm sure most of these first time map makers will give up when they realize they won't win or won't finish on time. The major problem is that there are way more contest maps than I was expecting so I am trying to figure out the best way to help the contest without pissing everyone off here.

Anyway, I don't expect there will be as many contest maps next week as there were this week and I am going to try and add more non-contest maps into the mix. There were a couple this week that tested well.

It's just a matter of adding enough maps that I know people will like to balance the contest maps/experimental maps for playTest days. Rest assured that I am aware it is an issue and working on a solution.
Original
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17838153

Unread post by Original »

right on, I don't mean to raise a big stink either. I was just thinking about it and might've just been a little tired or something too last night and that just compounded it.

It is an amazing turnout so far for the contest. I know people got tired of testing maps for the pl contest and that was only 6 maps lol.
This would be worth money if you had it in writing