Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Rotation Cleanup

Discuss any problems with our stockMaps TF2 server and make suggestions for improvement.
Divine Fate
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:14581138
Twitter Username: Nequissime
Xbox Gamer Tag: xelderon

Rotation Cleanup

Unread post by Divine Fate »

Just an idea to keep players playing on the server.

Let's say we have a 10 people in the server playing 2fort, good job on starting that up. But where does it go from there? Usually (unless someone nominates a good map), when RTV comes up we have 4 maps that nobody has ever heard of. This would be fine if we were playtesting, but in the current state of the server we have many of these maps in the regular rotation. When a map is changed to one of these poor custom maps, two things happen: (1) the server does not gain any new public players, and (2) the server starts to lose any public players it may have obtained. Eventually the members of the community will leave too and the server gets stuck on a map nobody wants to play.

My proposition is to change the default "RTV" lineup to contain only stock maps and select "good" custom maps (decided by whoever wants to pick them out). If possible, leave all current maps in the nominate list just in case somebody wants to play one. This way, the rotation is well-known to most people and has approved maps while still retaining any custom map in the nominate list. If nobody wants to play a random custom map then they won't end up being forced to do so. The map rating system for rotation maps worked for a good while, but in the end it may not be such an accurate judge to tell whether or not people actually like the map. From my experience, running bad maps is the biggest reason players leave the server and a quick map change is all that is needed to instantly kill it.

So, will this work? Good? Bad?
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Re: Rotation Cleanup

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

i thought this is how we had it, only, we all rated a map and when the maps rating was above a point and had so many votes it was on the map list? but yeah i fully approve of this.

now lets get to work on fixing those stalemate (hour +) maps.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: Rotation Cleanup

Unread post by captainAngry »

I'll take a look at doing this tonight