Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Calculated Chaos Group Meet/LAN Party...

Announcements for our community.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Calculated Chaos Group Meet/LAN Party...

Unread post by Äusländer »

What I'm doing this putting a feeler out there to see who would be interested in a Calculated Chaos LAN Party. I have participated in these in the past and they were always an insanely fun, sleep deprived, frag fest. I understand that there are a number of people in cC that are younger and probably couldn't make an 8+ hour drive to a centralized location but if we could figure out something that would work I think it could be a crap load of fun. I've already addressed this with Captain and he said what the hell so I'm putting it out there.

So who's interested that could actually do something like this?

-Aus

EDIT:
Per Big Johns request I have created a map to put your location on so that we can define a better central location. I hope this works.

EDIT: You're going to notice that I wiped all your names off the map. Well I did! I am now storing them all in a Google Map and since there's no easy way for me to give you the map URL to edit it I am just going to say if you haven't already put your name on the Platial map then do so and then I will transfer them to the Google map. (Once I move the name then I delete you from the platial map) This way it's much easier for me to calculate distances and find a good middle ground.

http://platial.com/mapv/Calculated+Chao ... ees/775801
Final Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 72&t=h&z=4

EDIT: I have servers!
http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.gerva ... directlink
Last edited by Äusländer on 16 Nov 2009, 01:41, edited 4 times in total.
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: Calculated Chaos Group Meet/LAN Party...

Unread post by captainAngry »

I was going to make a post about this this afternoon but I have been super busy at work today. I am absolutely interested in getting some of this stuff together. As much as it may sound like a bunch of work, it really wouldn't be too bad.

I know of at least a few people that, given their availability, would be able to put together a car pool to get somewhere centralized. Typically something like this would involve renting a house somewhere and having everyone crash at one place. Renting a house or a few hotel rooms for a week or a few days isn't expensive at all when you assume a minimum 8-10 people would be splitting the cost.

Anyway, like Aus said, we need to get an idea of who all would be interested in jumping in a car for a few hours and meeting in one centralized location for a week of craziness. We don't need to play anything out yet, just get an idea if there is enough people interested to start doing some research.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

If its in Wisconsin or Minnesota and on an open weekend, I'd be down.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Unread post by rudedog04 »

I'm not too sure about Minnesota or Wisconsin, but really anywhere in Illinois or preferably anywhere in the Chicagoland area is best for me. Of course where is (any) fun if my parents took me somewhere and for many reasons i dont trust the fact that (example) someone from Pennsylvania will pick me up from Indiana to go to Tennesee. But somehow, someway, since I have extra dough laying around collecting dust, I will find a way to convince them.

I'll throw out a nice little place out here as a suggestion if you do choose to go somewhere in Illinois.

"GameStorm Lan-Center"
238 Main St.
Lemont, IL 60439
http://gamestormgaming.com if interested
Image Image
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

I would solely depend on where it is, for me. I doubt it will be close enough so I can though.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

rudedog04 wrote: I'll throw out a nice little place out here as a suggestion if you do choose to go somewhere in Illinois.

"GameStorm Lan-Center"
238 Main St.
Lemont, IL 60439
I'm guessing you're new to the whole LAN party thing... a LAN party is where you get a bunch of folding tables and set them up in a garage/basement/hotel business center/abandoned warehouse with power and you bring your computer/monitor and networking gear and you play games until your eyes stop producing moisture and you're so hyped up on Red bull that you stab someone. At that point you find the nearest 24/hour diner and eat greasy eggs until you are feeling good enough to get back and play some more. After that session is done you crash for a few hours and drive home.

I've always had a blast at them.
z0th
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by z0th »

for those completely unfamiliar with the LAN party concept....

some pics from the last Zeroping LAN event i dropped into, back in may of this year. quality kinda sucks, i was pretty hungover that day. my buddy z0ng runs them here in the GTA. i think this one had somewhere between 150-200 attendees.

Lanapalooza 4 Pics
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Äusländer wrote:
rudedog04 wrote: I'll throw out a nice little place out here as a suggestion if you do choose to go somewhere in Illinois.

"GameStorm Lan-Center"
238 Main St.
Lemont, IL 60439
I'm guessing you're new to the whole LAN party thing... a LAN party is where you get a bunch of folding tables and set them up in a garage/basement/hotel business center/abandoned warehouse with power and you bring your computer/monitor and networking gear and you play games until your eyes stop producing moisture and you're so hyped up on Red bull that you stab someone. At that point you find the nearest 24/hour diner and eat greasy eggs until you are feeling good enough to get back and play some more. After that session is done you crash for a few hours and drive home.

I've always had a blast at them.
I know what a LAN party is. My cousin and I play a shitload of games with his guys in college in his basement cuz they need newcomers for WoW, COD4, CSS(sometimes TF2), etc. I got fucked up that day playing nonstop for 23 hours and only stopped twice to piss. Eating Papa Johns and drinking Monsters all day(which i found out that Monster and Papa John's Sausage pizza was not a very good combination). They thought it would be cool to go somewhere instead of being cramped up in a small basement for the week. So they heard of GameStorm and gave them a call. Where would be the fun if you went to a public gaming area and you couldn't really do shit? I just threw out that place for you guys just to see if interested. An empty hideout or an extra room or basement that will fit tables on the other hand will be a bitch for me to give out ideas.

......it's also gunna be a bitch for me to go.
Image Image
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

id say, since most of us live around the minnesota area (me, captain, warmonger...etc) we have it centralized around there, plus i have a laptop with tf2 on it, so i could borrow a trusted individual it, if he/she cant bring there rig.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
D34THSPAWN
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18527016

Unread post by D34THSPAWN »

I'm down...it'd have to be sometime when i was home...like christmas, spring break, or summer, and we could do it somewhere in the central region, wisconsin minnesota, illinois, michigan, ohio, etc...

imagine yourself as a T-rex in a room full of T-ball poles and large soapy bubbles. Your stubby arms would render the pleasure-power of this room woefully out of reach.
[DAWN]HellFire
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:25080918
Xbox Gamer Tag: coltalmighty

Unread post by [DAWN]HellFire »

This would be a great idea. But everyone knows that being involved will be most impossible for me. Unless of course if said event was held in the lawrenceville or Vincennes area, and guardian permission was attained to hang with some "people I met on the internet."
--Banned Calculated Chaos Member--
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Best I can do is get my grandma to drive me up there seeing as my car is OOC at the moment. (OOC=Out Of Commission)
Life is whatever.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

[DAWN]HellFire wrote:This would be a great idea. But everyone knows that being involved will be most impossible for me. Unless of course if said event was held in the lawrenceville or Vincennes area, and guardian permission was attained to hang with some "people I met on the internet."
on that note it should be 18+, unless you have a car.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

AgeNt_ wrote:
[DAWN]HellFire wrote:This would be a great idea. But everyone knows that being involved will be most impossible for me. Unless of course if said event was held in the lawrenceville or Vincennes area, and guardian permission was attained to hang with some "people I met on the internet."
on that note it should be 18+, unless you have a car.
I got my dad's old and "still feels new" car in my garage that i currently own. Sadly I got 2 more years under my belt for testdriving until its time for the real deal. So no Agent.
Image Image
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

If it was next summer, I'd be for it.
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

Intrigued, but theres no way in hell i could/would make a trek all the way up to Minnesota.
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
Noodlefoo
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:16175581
Twitter Username: Noodlefoo

Unread post by Noodlefoo »

Seems like most people are polarized either far North or South, but everyone is centrally located rather than East Coast West Coast. So what would be more even for the group as a whole would be Kansas, Missouri, South Illinois, maybe some of the other surrounding states in those general regions. But that's just based off of what people I've heard speaking about where they live.
ImageImageImage
genie
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:20121258

Unread post by genie »

I'd do it! I love road trips. Plus I fit into the required 18+ and has a car category. :)
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Stupid idea time, why not have two parties one in Upper Midwest and one in Texas, and a webcam and projector at each one, so its like we're all together. :girl:
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

Riftoff wrote:Stupid idea time, why not have two parties one in Upper Midwest and one in Texas, and a webcam and projector at each one, so its like we're all together. :girl:
yea both central. great. id.ea.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Noodlefoo

Riftoff wrote:Stupid idea time, why not have two parties one in Upper Midwest and one in Texas, and a webcam and projector at each one, so its like we're all together. :girl:
Not stupid. It's exactly a really good idea. Being physically with everyone wouldn't happen, but it helps make the event more possible.
ImageImageImage
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

somewhere in Ohio so I dont have to drive far!
ImageImage
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Unread post by Sastora »

What about Florida and we can all go to Disney!!! C:
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
Ex-PFC Wintergreen
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20067578

Unread post by Ex-PFC Wintergreen »

We should all do it on the moon so I don't have to drive far.
At least I don't have flies in my eyes.
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

First off I would like to say that I am liking what I am seeing for participation at the moment. What should be brought up now is maybe a narrowing down a location or locations. The crazy webcam/projector idea isn't that bad to tell you the truth, I think with a think tank we could probably figure out some cool things to go along with that and maybe have more than two locations depending on who can get a projector.

The point that was made about lots of people living in Minnesota was a valid observation so more than likely I would drive from Nebraska to attend an event there and I think a few other people could do it too. (If i remember correctly deathspawn had done it in the past to cuddle with captain) I would also be willing to purchase a projector to set up the connection at that point. As for actual locations within the state I would think you'd have to find someone's house that could handle a group of gamers for a weekend to try and rid the cost of renting a place for a few days.

In the end there is no reason that we can't open up a video feed so people that can not attend the event can still see what's going on and possibly participate. Though another thing to consider, gaming and video requires some pretty phat pipes...FAT PIPES!!!
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

pros and cons are with the "2 different locations"

pros
-we can have one side battle another
-have more people attend the event
-itd be fun
cons
-each place would have to have internet
-would have to have a server on lock so that we can do it

things i can bring:
an extra computer (laptop) if someone does not have one
chairs?
chips
and if someone here wants to car pool, im game.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

AgeNt_ wrote:pros and cons are with the "2 different locations"

pros
-itd be fun
cons

things i can bring:
chairs?
chips
If one side has drastically more people show up than the other, than it wouldnt be much of a challenge. And dont forget most of the best players are in travel distance of central/north. So a one-sided contest against more numerous and better players in the north, against those in the south.
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

Joes_crab_shack wrote:
AgeNt_ wrote:pros and cons are with the "2 different locations"

pros
-itd be fun
cons

things i can bring:
chairs?
chips
If one side has drastically more people show up than the other, than it wouldnt be much of a challenge. And dont forget most of the best players are in travel distance of central/north. So a one-sided contest against more numerous and better players in the north, against those in the south.
hmm sounds like a war the north won... mm.. LOL JK, but yeah, i do kick a lot of ass, so that might be hard to fix
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Noodlefoo

I take offense to that. /Texan :(
ImageImageImage
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

It depends if anyone was going to drive from Canada but I would imagine Chicago would be a good place, depending on who would be willing to travel. It would be closer for a lot of people in the middle of the country and only about 6-8 hours for us up in Minnesota.

I have no problem getting a large car/van and picking up a bunch of people on my way to the event. I would imagine most people driving at least a couple hours to spend the weekend among friends wouldn't have a problem either so travel isn't a huge deal.

I like the idea of a North and South event because it would cut down on the travel time for a lot of people. Also, webcams are cheap as hell and could easily setup a web page to tap into a couple cams on either side to compliment anything else we setup and capture more of what happens.

Finding someones house as a place to hold the event is a great idea if it is possible. It would end up cutting a large chunk out of the cost and again, webcams are cheap and parties outside of the main party could jump onto the webcam bandwagon.