Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Calculated Chaos Group Meet/LAN Party...

Announcements for our community.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:22098861

Re: Calculated Chaos Group Meet/LAN Party...

Unread post by Sastora »

Well it shouldn't all be put on Captain, I mean the main event should be in place with a few people but its not like we are coming here to just play and mooch off of him. I'd like to help with that too 'cause there is a lot off small stuff like that to figure out that other people can do.
Narwhals, unicorns of the sea.
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:8504578
Twitter Username: AgeNtNicK
Xbox Gamer Tag: AgeNtNicK

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

bout the heat situation. both my PC's pump out a heaping amout of heat.
my PC, you cant have the case side on or the gfx card will overhead in an instant.

my laptop, will burn your lap if your playing a game for longer than 5 minutes.

but this all can be avoided if we can have that person bring a fan with to blow it off individually.

sorry if i dont make sense. running off of 45 minutes of sleep.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Sastora wrote:Well it shouldn't all be put on Captain, I mean the main event should be in place with a few people but its not like we are coming here to just play and mooch off of him. I'd like to help with that too 'cause there is a lot off small stuff like that to figure out that other people can do.
We'll plan everything out and let people know what we need if we don't have it.
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Sastora »

C: Okay!
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

Soo, we're doing this in Minneapolis?
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Unread post by Äusländer »

Riftoff wrote:Soo, we're doing this in Minneapolis?
Umm no... Well I don't know... I am thinking I've got about all the points on the map that I'm going to get so i guess we can start figuring out locations.
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

Once again, are we going to have this on a specific cC server? If not I wont be able to play cos I cant afford the plane ticket to come over to America. I've managed to get TF2 working without any of the problems I had before with FPS locking at 1 and then me not being able to do anything, not even exit TF2, so I have been on the cC servers a bit but not a lot cos I dont always have time with college and things. I'd be more than happy to join in online, just let me know when it is and I'll try and be there, tho please note I am several hours ahead of you so playing it in your morning would most likely suit me. If you give me a time and roughly where it is (e.g. which state) I'll be able to work out when it is in British time. Thanks.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

+1 for minnesota, all in all, easiest access for me.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Sastora »

Minnesota isn't the middle. Maybe Indiana, Illinois or Kentucky. Something like that.
BigJohn 308
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:12350156

Unread post by BigJohn 308 »

If I may make another suggestion:
Initiate a poll where the user may vote yes or no on the states that he would be willing to travel to in order to attend. For Example:

Indiana……......Yes / No
Kentucky ….....Yes / No
Ohio ………...,.Yes / No
Greenland….....Yes / No

The user must be able to vote for as many choices as they would seriously entertain. Then, take the top four and have a revote. A third vote of the final two should cement the deal.

Afterwards, it would merely be a matter of a needs assessment followed by site analysis of possible facilities in that state which would support the operational requirements.

I would however, caution against too many votes. Remember that the camel was racehorse designed by a committee. Allow everyone to participate by having a say as to what state they will travel to and what type of accommodations they would be willing to accept. (Hotel , Meeting hall, Bordello etc…) Then this should default to the person in charge who should be expected to take charge to make the arrangements.

Biggest issue facing the unlucky SOB who is in charge will be collecting the money from the participants. Better yet would be if the provider would be willing at bill each participant individually to avoid nonpayment. Reserving a meeting room in a hotel or the like will require a contract and payment - due in advance. The stipulations will be many!
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

+1 for greenland. lol.

money sucks. let it be free :D
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
Äusländer
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:8016810

Unread post by Äusländer »

AgeNt_ wrote:+1 for greenland. lol.

money sucks. let it be free :D
I've been thinking of your money sucks comment and even though it's the truth this can't be "free." Now personally I've already spent $400 on equipment and I will need to get more but I get to keep that and that is cool but the internet connection and the venue are going to cost money and we can't let Captain eat the whole bill. Now I don't want to say that you have to pay $XX to play but I think it should be a what you can spare kind of thing.
z0th: "the gameserver is not a democracy."
AgeNt_
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by AgeNt_ »

i was just joking, i will pay my part.
pl_promotion_b3
Beta 3 Released!
D34THSPAWN
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18527016

Unread post by D34THSPAWN »

agreed, and have you figured out where its gonna be yet aus? or have a poll or something to decide?

imagine yourself as a T-rex in a room full of T-ball poles and large soapy bubbles. Your stubby arms would render the pleasure-power of this room woefully out of reach.
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

Sastora wrote:=Double Post=
Also how are we going to do food situations and snacks and stuff.
I can cook food and bring sodas and bake cookies! C: C: C:
My grandma makes some easy big meals so I know some recipes for stuff like sweet and sour chicken with rice and Smith's surprise which is pretty much shepherds pie. And I know we supposedly wont be sleeping but in reality I'm sure we will so we need like blow up beds or something and what about tables and chairs and such? We also have to think about that.

Is someone going to bring a radio? I have a good one somewhere in my boxes in the garage if no one else does.

For people who some how get tired of tf2 or something I can bring some games like Apples to Apples which is loads of fun or someone can get cranium. Or we can just play tf2 like we always do instead of kinda getting to know one another.

Also ( I keep going back and editing this post ) don't we need to have some fans because lots of computers cause heat. So we might have to have good air or some fans, or both what ever.

Surge Protectors?
If i attend, i could make some burgers, crawfish chowder, or gumbo.
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
genie
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:20121258

Unread post by genie »

The only thing I see wrong about people cooking is that it could get really expensive, depending on how many people there are. Depending on location, there might not even be a chance to cook (for example, if it was in a hotel).
Sastora
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod

Unread post by Sastora »

True that, but they were also talking about renting something for a week, 'cause a hotel would get really expensive and we probably would have to have multiple rooms.
Hanzo_blade
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:11418417
Xbox Gamer Tag: Hanzo Execution

Unread post by Hanzo_blade »

So... where is this thing gonna be? Any final decision yet, or at least an idea? Hope its not too far from Ohio. I've never traveled out of state on my own so if I were to attend I would have to bring along someone I know (probably bring my BF). Or an alternate possibility is meet up with one of you and car pool. Don't really think I'd be good at driving around alone... (not good with directions and such) Would anyone be willing to meet up in Ohio then go from there? xD
ImageImage
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

Right now I am looking thinking about Indiana so you shouldn't have to go too far.
genie
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:20121258

Unread post by genie »

Hanzo_blade wrote:So... where is this thing gonna be? Any final decision yet, or at least an idea? Hope its not too far from Ohio. I've never traveled out of state on my own so if I were to attend I would have to bring along someone I know (probably bring my BF). Or an alternate possibility is meet up with one of you and car pool. Don't really think I'd be good at driving around alone... (not good with directions and such) Would anyone be willing to meet up in Ohio then go from there? xD
Depending on where it is I could maybe carpool with you. I live in MI, but it really all depends on where this thing is going to be hosted in the end.
Joe's Crab Shack
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24928034

Unread post by Joe's Crab Shack »

captainangry wrote:Right now I am looking thinking about Indiana so you shouldn't have to go too far.
Jesus, that's a ways even for me.

If i decide to do this, i'll need someone to pick me up at the airport.
“Sane is boring.”
― R.A. Salvatore

“I used to be sane, then I got better.”
― Anonymous

"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
― John Russell
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

captainangry wrote:Right now I am looking thinking about Indiana so you shouldn't have to go too far.
Goddamn, that's far. May as well wait up 'till next time...
Life is whatever.
D34THSPAWN
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18527016

Unread post by D34THSPAWN »

werent we thinking about two locations though?

imagine yourself as a T-rex in a room full of T-ball poles and large soapy bubbles. Your stubby arms would render the pleasure-power of this room woefully out of reach.
VillageSavant
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:5138113

Unread post by VillageSavant »

I am going to try my damndest to make it, if not too far out of the way I wouldnt mind getting people along the way. I live in South Central PA, looks from the map I will be haeding sout west depending where we meet but I can take slight detours.
- Every village needs one. I'm the best at what I do.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Unread post by rudedog04 »

INDIANA FUCK YEAR!!!!
Image Image
tomm
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26596259

Unread post by tomm »

if its in Indiana ill definitely go. depending where. somewhere in between northern and central Indiana would be best.
so one day, i was on the server and i was trying to build a senty with tgame. i counted down "3,2,1,"then BAM. SERVER CRASH. then some pacman.

"where did we go so wrong?" Eythur as Heavy. March 30th 2010.
4most
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37706354
Xbox Gamer Tag: skinz1193

Unread post by 4most »

BAh come to my house lol yeah i have a feeling i will not make it :( :(

"Yes my Fuhrer...I mean Mr. President"
-Dr. Strangelove

"What is it about nukes and 50's music that makes my warm inside? I think its the radiation."
-me
Thursday
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19029341

Unread post by Thursday »

If we're thinking central Indiana, may I put forth my hometown of Columbus as a suitable candidate for meeting up at?

Besides the fact I wouldn't have to go anywhere, Columbus is a small city with a shitton of hotels around due to the convergence of a major state road and an interstate nearby. Although I don't think there's any places we could stay for the actual event, you could root around and find some.

It's also a lot smaller than Indianapolis, so it might be cheaper. I've never rented a hotel here, so I wouldn't know.

Besides all that, it is a big crossroads. It's about thirty minutes away from the airport in Indianapolis, two hours from Cincinatti, OH, fortyfive minutes from Lousville, Kentucky, and four hours from Chicago.

If there aren't any venues to rent out/find, there's always the nearby city of Greenwood. That place has everything.

But this is speaking from the eyes of a down-home Indiana-born kid, so don't take it too seriously.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

So, now that holiday madness has come and gone I have been able to do more thinking about the LAN party. To me it seems like it would make sense to leach off of a popular con for our get together. I know more people would be likely to show up if we had our meet up at comic-con or PAX and it would save anyone from having to worry about food and extra entertainment.

It would also skirt this issue of some people wanting to drink and some people not wanting to be in a situation where they would be responsible for any potential underage drinking fiasco.

Even leaching off a smaller con would have the benefit of being able to get a cheaper room rate since cons typically get a group hotel rate that wouldn't apply for us normally (depending on how many people come).

The problem is of course that summer cons are starting to sell out already so our options are quickly becoming limited if we were to go this route. Would there be more interest if we were to get together at a big event? I know it would be a lot easier to convince my significant other to travel across the country if our final destination wasn't Bumfuck Alabama.
VillageSavant
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:5138113

Unread post by VillageSavant »

I'm fairly easy, that is it really doesn't matter from my stand point. The wife will probaly laugh at me when i ask her to come anyways.
- Every village needs one. I'm the best at what I do.