Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Want more MVM Servers?

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Want more MVM Servers?

Unread post by captainAngry »

So we should probably make a dedicated MVM server, yeah?

If that is something we want, I would want to use the main server. Running those servers is somewhat expensive because to run it properly, it needs to be a 32 man server, even though there are only 6 player slots (6 players + 26 bots).

The second problem is that I run our servers through a discount host that will only accept new accounts when it needs to fill it's expensive servers (nfoservers). That makes the servers cheap ($28.48/month for 32 man server), however they are not currently taking new orders. If we wanted to add more servers, we could, but they would have to be under another host and would probably be more expensive.

Most of the costs of running the games servers, and dedicated web server (needed for stats) comes out of my pocket. We get donations from time to time that may cover a month here and there, but it's nowhere near the $70 a month running this stuff costs. That's whatever, but while I would love to run out and setup 5 new MVM servers so that all of us had password protected slots, it's too much of an investment for a game I rarely play these days. If you folks got together and each donated what you had, we could afford to open a few new servers at least until shit cools down.

-Captain
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Re: Want more MVM Servers?

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

A dedicated MvM server would be a good idea, but I have the striking suspicion that it wouldn't be popular a month or so from now. Maybe just change it over for a month.

I also found this, which suggests to me that someone who can properly use rcon could change the server from MvM to PvP at will by just changing one number, then starting the server on a specific map. Is that the case? If so, we could just change it whenever we want.
Life is whatever.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

It can't be any less popular than the current mainserver. Do it.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

hell, why not change the funserver to that for a month? because only 6 people will be on at once for a month, we might actually get the mainserver commonly used for a while. Ahhh, who am I kidding. The mainserver is dead.
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

I am actually all for Krubby's idea.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

_Pipeline wrote:I am actually all for Krubby's idea.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Unread post by rudedog04 »

Changing the Mainserver = Mainserver gets used more often
Changing the Funserver =/= Mainserver gets used more often
We try to kick everyone off the funserver to fill the main before, most of the time that doesn't work. Everyone still loves going back to melee_mariokartcyberpunk_breakfloorfunservermap.bsp
If it rly is an easy change than there shouldn't be a problem with using an "almost-always" empty Mainserver to something that "could" be more the popular choice.
or we wait on another server *hinthintthursdaynudgenudge* which always solves more problems
Image Image
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Yea just because you guys hate the funserver ( I don't care for it either) doesn't mean getting rid of it will do anything except screw over the people that visit it every single day. For some unknown reason, the fun server is almost always full and never empty.
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

MvM = 6 slots.
Funserver Changed = Less people there = Mainserver Party all day erryday

Note that whenever the funserver crashes and stays down for a while, People that know of the mainserver will move there.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Haunwulf wrote:MvM = 6 slots.
Funserver Changed = Less people there = Mainserver Party all day erryday

Note that whenever the funserver crashes and stays down for a while, People that know of the mainserver will move there.
That does not happen for the majority of the time. It only = the mainserver being less empty barely more of the time than now.
kyllyan
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:42486217

Unread post by kyllyan »

I agree with Krubby
to turn the funserver a mvm server for awhile so the main server could be played more instead of being empty most of the time
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

I'm glad you guys don't actually have any power to change the servers :P
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

Hey, I'm just throwing out various ideas. I just want the mainserver back. :america:
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Unread post by spleenter »

krubby wrote:Hey, I'm just throwing out various ideas. I just want the mainserver back. :america:
It was ever gone? Just because it is empty doesn't mean it magically disappears.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

It's not like hte mainserver is hidden from everyone but cC players...and it's still empty all the time. Changing the funserver would just mean the end of the funserver and nothing else.
kyllyan

Unread post by kyllyan »

Then maybe turn the mainserver into a mvm for awhile so it can be play if that is possible?
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

kyllyan wrote:Then maybe turn the mainserver into a mvm for awhile so it can be play if that is possible?
Yea...
kyllyan

Unread post by kyllyan »

yea turning the mainserver into a mvm for awhile would be fun unless we keep doing what we did yesterday and schedule to play on the main server on some days
TragicRhapsody
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:39334908
Xbox Gamer Tag: TragicRhapsody

Unread post by TragicRhapsody »

rudedog04 wrote:Changing the Mainserver = Mainserver gets used more often
Changing the Funserver =/= Mainserver gets used more often
We try to kick everyone off the funserver to fill the main before, most of the time that doesn't work. Everyone still loves going back to melee_mariokartcyberpunk_breakfloorfunservermap.bsp
If it rly is an easy change than there shouldn't be a problem with using an "almost-always" empty Mainserver to something that "could" be more the popular choice.
or we wait on another server *hinthintthursdaynudgenudge* which always solves more problems
I'd have no clue as to what would happen like this, but I've been able to get on the mainserver at midnight or so and pull 4 or 5 people off the funserver. I could get a lot more if a few more people came along with me, especially pubbers.
I will feed you to the homeless.
_Pipeline
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:35987824

Unread post by _Pipeline »

The power of bump compels you.