Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

stockMaps is Just Stock Maps

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

stockMaps is Just Stock Maps

Unread post by captainAngry »

To better support the community and attempt to better transition into a three server setup, the stockMaps server now only has stock maps in it's rotation. There are a few reasons I have decided to do this, the main one being that running a stock map is required in order for the server to have people sent to the server automatically via the new matchmaking service.

This summer, with the wave of new people joining Team Fortress, I want to use the stockMaps server as a way to being new people to the community. This will give us both sides of the spectrum: one stock maps server where we can help people cut their teeth into Team Fortress (read: make fun of people until they get better of leave), and one server that has shitty maps everyone seems to like with admins being dicks most of the time and kicking people for no reason (this seems to be what everyone loves these days).

We are going to try to fill the gap between the two with the new server. With the influx of people, we should be able to support three servers. We will work towards picking unique and fun mixes of maps every day and keeping things nice and fresh, as well as give you people the ability to come up with your own ideas (for a nominal fee, naturally) and give them a shot.

With changing the stockMaps server to a truely stock maps server, I am going to be much more open to adding new maps to the funServer. I would like to add a bunch of old favorites like Convoy and Repository before I add a bunch of new shitholes like melee_checkers and arena_breakfloor). This will make the 'funServer' more like the old main server with a much larger variety of custom maps.

Please give me your feedback. I want to support the community the best I can and I know a lot of people are super syched about the game going free and getting an influx of new players. I'm hoping we can shift the community back towards making fun of sucky people until they either leave or stick around long enough to get halfway decent and I think this will be a step in the right direction.

One other thing which I am seriously considering is reducing the number of slots available on that server. Having more than 24 people allowed on the server can negative impact the matchmaking service. I do not which to reduce the number of slots to a number below what is capable of supporting our community (there will always be a server for you to join) so this would most likely mean moving the players from stockMaps to Fartlandia. I want to give the three servers some time to play together before I determine what makes the most sense with the player slots.

-Captain
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Re: stockMaps is Just Stock Maps

Unread post by spleenter »

Thats a great idea, i have a few questions though.

1. When funserver is full and a bunch of the regulars want to play a classic custom map like convoy/avanti/castle4/hunted/etc. where would we play?

2. I noticed that right after the update all 3 of our servers were full and i would have to connect via the console and the reserve slot just to play. Do you have any ideas short of getting an entirely new server that could have more people playing on the servers?
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

2. I don't think that is necessary. I'm sure after the FTP dies down it will be better.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

spleenter wrote:Thats a great idea, i have a few questions though.

1. When funserver is full and a bunch of the regulars want to play a classic custom map like convoy/avanti/castle4/hunted/etc. where would we play?

2. I noticed that right after the update all 3 of our servers were full and i would have to connect via the console and the reserve slot just to play. Do you have any ideas short of getting an entirely new server that could have more people playing on the servers?
To answer number one at least partially, I will now be working those classic formerly mainserver maps into Fartlandia's rotation, which I hadn't been doing to avoid cannibalizing the mainserver.

And what Beetle said with reference to number two.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

Riftoff wrote:
And what Beetle said with reference to number two.
Also, Spleenter, just do what a good admin does. If you see the server full you are in, and ppl are in spec, ask them if they are there and if they don't respond, give them the boot. That's about the only time I kick people, but it is well worth it.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
Optimus Prime Rib
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16421049

Unread post by Optimus Prime Rib »

You could add more reserve slots for admins/donators/regulars
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

There are infinite reserve slots. It holds one but you can't ever fill that slot unless the entire server is full of reserve slot people.