Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Server Changes

Announcements for our community.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Server Changes

Unread post by captainAngry »

The old custom maps server is becoming a stock maps server, at least for the time being.

I plan on moving more custom maps to the old fun maps server. If you have any suggestions, post them in that server.

The only way the regular server was getting populated was when someone went on the server and picked a stock map. I think that with running stock maps, we will might be able to keep it populated again and continue to grow the community.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26021287

Re: Server Changes

Unread post by spleenter »

is there a way you can look at a list of maps that were recently played and remove some of the lesser played maps, that should optimize the server a bit, making it faster and less likely to crash at random.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
Royalblue
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:14610505

Unread post by Royalblue »

I, honestly believe that the stock maps are ONE part of the solution, but not the whole deal.

though trying to avoid the idea of "keeping membership by playing on the server(s)" i would just suggest a schedule for when people can get onto the mainserver instead of just getting on when people are currently populating the server....

though most of the people i know, actually HAVE work/college to work around, so i would suggest that around a set time of 7:00P.M. CT people should start going into the mainserver and help it out.

besides, the mainserver is more fun than the funserver. period. it IS a proven fact.
There was a FLASH, and then everything was meaningless...... there was doom and gloom and there were no stars........................................There were only ZTARS.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

also if you can keep some of the staple custom maps on like warpath, avanti, and toyfort(maybe), we might be able to increase traffic if people get tired of the funserver and dont want to play stock maps.
Think of me what you will, I don't give a crap what you think about me. Nor will i change to please you.
Riftoff
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18836685
Twitter Username: Riftoff
Xbox Gamer Tag: Lame Throwa

Unread post by Riftoff »

spleenter wrote:also if you can keep some of the staple custom maps on like warpath, avanti, and toyfort(maybe), we might be able to increase traffic if people get tired of the funserver and dont want to play stock maps.
I was going to suggest this same thing. Castle4 and a few others are needed.
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

duel sandstep would also be good for when the server dies late at night, its a small dm map perfect for 4-8 players.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Unread post by captainAngry »

Royalblue wrote:though most of the people i know, actually HAVE work/college to work around, so i would suggest that around a set time of 7:00P.M. CT people should start going into the mainserver and help it out.
I don't really intend to keep the stock server just stock maps for very long. The problem is what seems to happen is that one person like warmonger or something will go on the server, change to a stock map and populate the server. A couple people see it's populated and join but as soon as the map changes to something stupid, it dies down.

At the very least we need to pair down to the good [read: popular and not shitty] custom maps on that server. Castle, mach4 etc.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

captainAngry wrote: At the very least we need to pair down to the good [read: popular and not shitty] custom maps on that server. Castle, mach4 etc.
I AGREE WITH THIS COMPLETELY, not just put unfinished or old bad versions of maps just cuz they are custom.
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
LaN
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:26075035

Unread post by LaN »

Beetle wrote:
captainAngry wrote: At the very least we need to pair down to the good [read: popular and not shitty] custom maps on that server. Castle, mach4 etc.
I AGREE WITH THIS COMPLETELY, not just put unfinished or old bad versions of maps just cuz they are custom.
THIS TIMES TEN

So many Developer Textures
Daedalus

Unread post by Daedalus »

I will also /sign this
Dreathtil-P-V-A
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13895992

Unread post by Dreathtil-P-V-A »

Since my voice often goes without remorse allow me to state several facts

1. I do not like the funserver

2. There is a bad effect to running custommaps on a server gaining popularity.
[Note: this is not because of how good or bad the maps are but because of "Downloading maps" some people often just like to play custom maps or are hesitant to download because they are downloading a map for a game, which they may feel "take up harddrive space" or "What if Scenarios". Another 2 reasons more common is just disliking having to "wait to play" or "my internet is terrible at downloading so im going play a map I already have."]

3. I really do not like the funserver

4. There is a bad effect to only running stockmaps
[Note: this is not because of Valves Variety Choice, its because TF2 is meant to be user content friendly and is very very widespread in maps choices. This being said people turn away from stock maps because of the no variety in the choices, its all the maps that I myself can easily of played at another server [Who in this world (playing TF2) has "not" played on a 24h 2fort server.] {To answer that I haven't actullay} as well the maps are very samey, you have CTF, CP, Payload, KotH, and a few event version of these, this is what makes [don't make me say this] Ballon probably one of the most played maps.]

5. I really really do not like the funserver

6. Its all about server publicity and accessibility to people.
[Note: that when I say this I am talking about how some servers take up a good 3-5 rows with their server names, and how servers that often have the lowest latency InterNational and Worldwide, often get the most people]

6. Its a common fact that Rudedog might have some form of STD im not sure which one

8. My Worthless Opinion is that we keep only about 3-7 Custom maps no more no less and get rid of any stupid mods on the server [like Goombastomp] that we don't need

9. Notice I skipped 7 Eh.

10. I still hate the funserver even after distracting myself with this

P.S. I hate surgery it makes people do things like this to amuse themselves in contemplation

P.P.S. If your going to post notice I did 6 twice Eh.

It appears as though I am needed
Royalblue
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:14610505

Unread post by Royalblue »

(seconds this "monologue-comeback" like statement")
There was a FLASH, and then everything was meaningless...... there was doom and gloom and there were no stars........................................There were only ZTARS.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Unread post by rudedog04 »

I wouldn't say to go all the way back to the "vanilla" side of life, but stock maps is somethin i miss. Sure there are some great custom maps out there and even some thats created from cC, but im missing that part of TF2 that started it all. I barely get to play them nowadays.

Oh and dreathtil, thx. I mean a guy like me doesn't need anymore self-esteem in his life knowing that one (rather two) idiotic mistakes can make that guy give up all together am i right?

right?
Image Image
Chuck Norris

Unread post by Chuck Norris »

How about we does this
1.Delete the maps that are not as populated Fun maps and stock maps
2.We put in some new maps and if those are as fun just do that exact same method
3.Then were done :awesome:
spleenter
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

No. you are a funster and thus your opinions for the mainserver are dumb. why would we delete stockmaps on either server? they fill the funserver, only people who leave stock maps on the funservers are the people who are too stupid to play tf2 like it was meant to be played. and stock maps always draw both senior members of our community as well as people who are just looking to play a random game of dustbowl or 2fort. thus expanding our community. stock maps are a good thing. if you think they need to be deleted then you are a part of the group of people that got tf2 just to derp around on breakfloor and meleecheckers for hours on end.

that is all.

also this thread is over a month old.
Celtic
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37669475

Unread post by Celtic »

He said keep the stockmaps.

Just sayin.
LaN
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:26075035

Unread post by LaN »

Celtic wrote:He said keep the stockmaps.

Just sayin.
Chuck Norris wrote:How about we does this
1.Delete the maps that are not as populated Fun maps and stock maps

Mhmm
Celtic
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37669475

Unread post by Celtic »

So maps that aren't populated fun and stock maps get deleted.
FierySnake
Steam ID: FierySnake
Twitter Username: Fiery Snake1

Unread post by FierySnake »

Celtic wrote:So maps that aren't populated fun and stock maps get deleted.
That just sad.

HARD CARRY PLAYERS UNITE!!!