Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

The real deal on Our Youtube.

Announcements for our community.
theGreatZamboni
•cC• TV Moderator
•cC• TV Moderator
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22899731

The real deal on Our Youtube.

Unread post by theGreatZamboni »

Many users may have heard that we have a Youtube and that they can have their TF2 videos posted there. And while we have a Youtube, it isn't at the point we want it to be. And while I took on the job of managing it, until now I have had nothing to show for it. But while it has been an on running joke on the forums that I never make Updates or post videos, creating a quality page doesn't magically happen. We are a strong community, full of great people, and great times. So naturally we would want our Youtube to reflect that, and while no physical progress has been made, I haven't been sitting around twiddling my thumbs for a year.

I watched, researched other Youtube channels. I saw what they did, took notes, I created a game plan. I found promising Youtube channels and closely watch them rise to be widely know around the internet. One Specific Channel is SoldierKnowsBest. He was able to rise from an upstart tech blogger to a source for news in the Gaming/Tech industry. This was in a matter of months. I messaged him through out his steady rise and still stay in contact. From him and other Youtube stars I now have what I need to pay homage to the cC community. Because our Youtube's success is based on you, the members, and your constant support. Because a constant flow of quality content is required to achieve the goal we have set, to gain publicity for cC, to get new users, and more importantly archive the good time we have and would want to remember. So, here is the general guide line of what needs to be accomplished. It will be a process, but well worth it.

1. Create an image. We have a name, a logo, a website, and a community. But our Youtube needs to reflect all of theses things. We need a design that is professional, but more importantly reflects us. We also need content that makes sense for what we are, a gaming community. So this means we need to have footage that is exciting and fun to watch. We wanna makes users go "Wow, I wanna be part of that". This part of the process is Heavily based on your support. So if you have ideas for the graphical look of the page please post it. We have very talented artists and graphic designers but all input is welcome. And just because your design is good doesn't mean its the final product, it may just serve as a stepping stone for the final look. Also if you have video ideas, FILM THEM! Even if its just an experiment or a trial we want it! But the final product has to meet certain standards, in other words we don't want crap.

To better organize these post it would be great for captainAngry to make a sticky thread for Youtube layouts. For Youtube submissions. And for General ideas/thoughts/concerns.

2. Content Control (This is more on Captain and I's end) We need to contact all Youtube members currently using the cC name, or showing footage of gameplay from our server. Once contacted reach an agreement with them that works for both of us. If not we report them for using our, name/brand without our consent.

3. A system that Works and is efficient. We need to create a system were it is easy for me to access your content, and your you to submit yours. The best way is to find an agreeable way for EVERY user to record and submit content to be reviewed. So if we could have some of our more experienced players research this, and place it in a sticky thread. And once we find the most effective/easy/efficient method we create a new thread explaining how to do it.

4. Apply for Youtube partnership. Once we get this thing moving and meet requirements, it will be fairly easy for us to gain partnership. This will allow us certain promotional privileges on Youtube.

5. Get the word out. This is the final stage, and it won't be easy getting here. This will be the point where we can say we have an effective machine that all of us helped create. With content out on a regular basis we will have meet the goals set when this idea was conceived.

tl;dr (For the less committed) We need your help to get our Youtube started and to keep it running. So submit ideas.

Things we need to have to get it started.

1. A Youtube Board. This will allow easy navigation of all topics

2. Within the Board have these threads

Design (For the layout)

Content Ideas (For research of what kind and quality of videos we want)
(And When all of the above is done) A submission board with the ability to delete posts for already uploaded videos or reject ones.

Q&A/FAQ (for question about topics, not being posted in its category will prevent clutter.

A Check list (Listing these steps without detail, so when one is done we can check it off)

Input (For...input)

So, what will it be? Are you guys willing to commit to this? Getting it started is the hard part. But I feel once you guys see the final result it will have been all worth it. It solely relies on your collaboration, for getting it started and keeping it going. (A quality video once a week would be good).
Last edited by theGreatZamboni on 30 Jun 2010, 03:02, edited 5 times in total.
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Re: The real deal on Our Youtube. (All users should read)

Unread post by Toastyking »

I would love for us to film some kind of tf2 video thingy.

But I no useful.
Aerogablaze
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19303814

Unread post by Aerogablaze »

If By Tf2 Thing That Toasty Talks of Is a Long Kick Ass Machina...Whatbobbers are they Called I'd be Happy to be in for Acting all..As Asides to the Youtube Channel We Need a Yotube Logo as said Above..Yet I'm Dead Poor in the...Art...Deparmtent..And Not to mention my TF2 Is on the Fritz after my Reformat...Goes on about..Freq Out of...Line or..Something But Nethier the Less I'll get that Fixed...But After I Run over Some Dead beats on the Streets of APB I'll Crack what my TF2 Blabbing about and Gracefully Return to TF2 To Help
"-Ahem- Gentlemen? ..."
Team Fortress 2 Hired Spy
I am Spy - Play Free Online Games
TheBlindKhezu
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26179687
Location: In a land where the Eldritch Abomination known as the pyro lives

Unread post by TheBlindKhezu »

i like your methods and the way you planned this out but . but the partner ship with youtube had a very small benefit(Banners in your videos/profiles, Automatically starts your videos,Advertisement) your profits on your videos will only be if they click on the ads, you only get like say the amount of money if they click on the ads. and most of the people who record the game-play footage that goes on here usually on the fun server. I will try to record demos of some game-play on our server(If i know how to and such) and will give you the heads ups.
Toastyking
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:13398699

Unread post by Toastyking »

Aerogablaze wrote:If By Tf2 Thing That Toasty Talks of Is a Long Kick Ass Machina...Whatbobbers

Yeah one of them crazy whatsit's.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Re: The real deal on Our Youtube.

Unread post by captainAngry »

I made a new section for the forum called http://gaming.calculatedchaos.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=57.

You guys should be able to upload video files directly to the forum but if you can't upload a particular file format, you just need to tell me so I can add it to the allowed file type list.

Also, all I care about is the stuff Zamboni was talking about: Maintaining a quality image for our group and bringing people to the forums/servers. If you guys figure out some way to make money with the videos via advertising or whatever, feel free to keep it.

If I can help you guys in any way, please let me know.
Trilby
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20574738

Unread post by Trilby »

So basically No videos from times when us admins don't give a fuck about whats going on?
V. He that is found Guilty of Gaming, or Defrauding one another to the value of a Royal of Plate, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majority of the Company shall think fit.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

If people will enjoy the videos that's fine, just don't make bullshit terrible quality videos nobody will care about.
theGreatZamboni
•cC• TV Moderator
•cC• TV Moderator

captainangry wrote:If people will enjoy the videos that's fine, just don't make bullshit terrible quality videos nobody will care about.
Hence the idea of finding a way for all users to easily create quality videos, and the submission thread. So I can go through them and find the gems.
gervangster
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21044401
Xbox Gamer Tag: gervangster

Unread post by gervangster »

I just finished the re-render of the logo animation you wanted. I fixed the fonts, made it a native HD render and tweaked the lightning timing. Its a .mov and the size is 266Mb so let me know where and how i can get it you.
Attachments
newest render snapshot
newest render snapshot
Image Image
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

well zamboni, i missed your steam message but i have loads of demos. my hardware isnt capable of turning them into any type of video format.
i could zip them up though and send them to you. i can try to go through some of them and write notes of what they are about but that will take a while.
Trilby
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:20574738

Unread post by Trilby »

If I figuredhow to record demos I could have quite a few of the valve map matches we had today
V. He that is found Guilty of Gaming, or Defrauding one another to the value of a Royal of Plate, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majority of the Company shall think fit.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

Trilby wrote:If I figuredhow to record demos I could have quite a few of the valve map matches we had today
record <giveitaname>

in console.

then type stopdemo in console.

who would have thought?
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I say we do that Christmas special that Montag and Riftoff worked on many moons ago.
Celtic
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:37669475

Unread post by Celtic »

Sorry for bumping this thread.

If you need a channel layout design/any new logos/ whatever graphic design related I can take a shot at it.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

I have to say, this is a good idea, and IF everyone pulls together and works hard we can pull this off with not a lot of effort from each person. The money making aspect, unless we go viral its not really worth bothering about for the community.

I recently got an email myself from YouTube asking me if I wanted to join the partnership program, but I read the rules and personally I can't as it isn't my video and I don't have the copyright, nor do I have the necessary Google account.

I would like to know whether non members obey the same rules or whether they get asked to remove the video instead. Bearing in mind that Hellfire is not really considered a member any more but has at least one video of the funserver and breakfloor before you shut off micspams. I would also like to know how to edit a demo, because presumably when you say record it will record you going into the console, and also how you then convert said edited demo into a video. A hyperlink will be fine since I've already put a wall of text in.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

The demos are recorded the same way your record the game live. You can't really convert the demo into a video.

Basically, what a demo is is a file that contains all the data about every players movements through the match as well as the sounds/voice of everyone. That way, you can playback the demo and still have a camera you can fly around the map to catch different things happening and get better angles on things.

Anyway, I use WeGame to record videos (we have a thread on the YouTube section with more info). You can do the same thing with demos.
steve09
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18923152
Twitter Username: Sergeant_Stevi

Unread post by steve09 »

Cheers Capt. I'll look into it, at the moment my hardware barely plays TF2 and frequently it lags out and sometimes I lose all Steam connections including a connection to the VAC servers rendering me unable to play until it reconnects. I am hoping to get a completely new computer and put Windows 7 Pro 64 bit into it, but currently I don't have much money to do so and nor do my parents really. My dad has agreed that we need a new computer so he'll at least pay for some of it.

Specs I was thinking of were Intel i5-750 although I'd personally prefer an i7-920 but they are a bit expensive. An ATI 5780, a new mobo obvs and maybe a new case as the one I have kinda needs modded to get more airflow which I can't be bothered doing. Got a new 500Gb HDD as well so I'm pretty much sorted for what I want.
captainangry wrote:Freedom isn't free
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

I can record 1080i at 60fps with a AMD 5000+ Brisbane Oc'd to 3.0 GHz, an ATi 4870, and a 250Gb hard drive filled to the max. If you have problems I'll be shocked.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I can record like that but the audio gets fucked for some reason and I lag like shit.

Probably wouldn't have too much trouble recoding off a demo...
theGreatZamboni
•cC• TV Moderator
•cC• TV Moderator

Almost done with a tutorial and another batch if videos (7 videos). This should help with your audio problems. But if you record a demo please convert it before sending it to me.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Quick list of basic commands: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Help:Recording_demos

Avi files are preferred, correct?
Life is whatever.
Dep. Redundency Dep.
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19669957

Unread post by Dep. Redundency Dep. »

Oh yeah audio, for some odd reason, I cannot record audio with Wegame, I can't find what ever devise they say I'm supposed to use or "activate" some central audio thing-a-ma-jig I seem to lack, so if I want to record, I have to use a separate program, which can start to slow my computer a little bit, and doesn't record my inbound audio, such as speaking.

I've never actually recorded a demo, maybe I'll start to do that.