Forums have been upgraded to the latest PHPBB3 version. Forum style recovery is pending.

Server Stats

Announcements for our community.

Add Stats?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 36

captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18403615
Twitter Username: calcchaos
Xbox Gamer Tag: RemainingCoast

Server Stats

Unread post by captainAngry »

Should I add stats to the server?

I have been looking into adding stats and I should be able to do it pretty easily and include it into peoples forum profiles. Personally I HATE server chat spam so more than likely I would disable most if not all public chat spam about gaining points and personal standings but it would give people the ability to come on the forum and see their server stats.
Eiduringi
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19013868

Re: Server Stats

Unread post by Eiduringi »

I can't see why anyone would be against this idea. I support it 100%.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I have always had two issues with stats servers.

1.) Way too much chat spam. I do a lot to try and keep non game garbage out of chat. This is why I always suggest using slash commands vs exclamation commands (/jb vs !jb). They do the same thing, but one doesn't put anything in chat.

2.) Once you put stats on the server all everyone talks about is stats. I really don't care that you play on the server for 10 hours a day and are ranked higher than me. That's why I would start by adding stat widgets to the forum. I can do weekly awards and I can list out peoples individual stats in their profiles and downplay the player v player comparison stats.

Trust me, I have given this way more thought than any sane person would.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

Solution: kick anyone who talks about how awesome their stats are. After three kicks, if they do it again, ban them for a certain amount of time.
Life is whatever.
MrKerplunkers
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:18601661

Unread post by MrKerplunkers »

I'm against this. I don't give 2 shits about stats (or achievements, trophies, rank, or whatever you kids are calling them) and I find people that do are really annoying. I have never really seen the point of them as they don't effect the game in anyway what so ever and the only time I've encountered them was in the form of some douche waving his point filled balls balls in my face. :cthulhu:
xxSushixx
Steam ID: STEAM_1:1:17469300
Xbox Gamer Tag: Grog95

Unread post by xxSushixx »

captainangry wrote: I would disable most if not all public chat spam about gaining points and personal standings but it would give people the ability to come on the forum and see their server stats.
epic win
on the side note i too hate the chat spam, but it is nice to go on the forums and see how I've done over the past few weeks/months in kill/death ratio, the classes I've played most as or just to see who has killed me the most so i can enact my sweet revenge against them while they are unknowing, or knowing its really the same.
tomm
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26596259

Unread post by tomm »

personally i dont think stats is a good idea. lets not become one of those servers, you know, where people worry about how good they are or such and such, we already have game tracker. and that seems to be working perfectly with out causing any problems.
so one day, i was on the server and i was trying to build a senty with tgame. i counted down "3,2,1,"then BAM. SERVER CRASH. then some pacman.

"where did we go so wrong?" Eythur as Heavy. March 30th 2010.
kplax3
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19938064

Unread post by kplax3 »

I don't like the idea, because i want as few people as possible to know how bad I am at this game
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: Get outta here, lolicon furry yuri fan!
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: But enough about me.
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: XD
Slowpokes Bro
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:26264075

Unread post by Slowpokes Bro »

I'd think this would be a good idea, but what kind of stats would we have? And could we maybe have separate stats for the two servers (if possible). Not because I'm on the main server but a lot of times we screw around there and would end up dieing way more then you would on the main one. So that could mess up your ranking (if we have one...) if you play on both servers.
Image Image
BAMF
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:25128613
Xbox Gamer Tag: SomTervo

Unread post by BAMF »

No. Stats are baaaad. The last thing I want to see is a some 7-year old asshat prancin around screaming about being "2pro4u" because he's in x place and someone else is in y place. And, I have a well-kept secret- I'm about as good as a retarded, blind, and handless chipmunk. It's depressing how bad I am. It's some Linkin Park shit. I don't want to advertise that.

But I just did. Hmmm.
HurTmePlentY
•cC• Forum Mod
•cC• Forum Mod
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:3740232

Unread post by HurTmePlentY »

I like the idea of server stats.. not in a competitive; I'm ranked higher, therefore, I'm better than you kind of way. But in a sense, sometimes I think about how I do overall. To me the stats are just numbers. These numbers in no way reflect how good or bad one is, because in our server most just mess around. The leisure gamers with the mindset, Win or Loss, It doesn't matter; It's how you play the game, and what level of fun I have with these particular people I'm playing with.

I'd like to skim over the stats every once and a while and say to my self, " well hey, look at that. my overall kill to death ratio is #/# . how about that?"

my vote: yes, to server stats.
PhrozenFlame
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:21842434
Twitter Username: GiroTheHero

Unread post by PhrozenFlame »

BAMF wrote:I'm about as good as a retarded, blind, and handless chipmunk. It's depressing how bad I am. It's some Linkin Park shit.
Emo Vampire will feed off of your pain.
Life is whatever.
kplax3
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:19938064

Unread post by kplax3 »

I think it would be cool if there were a way of showing the leader board of each individual game as they were happening
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: Get outta here, lolicon furry yuri fan!
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: But enough about me.
8:04 PM - Dept. of Redundancy Dept.: XD
FlaminSarge
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:19100391

Unread post by FlaminSarge »

I vote no to server stats, since stats then become an obsession, but maybe custom achievements? Those would be less *publicly* obsessional. Like, "YEAH TOAST" - Kill Toasty while he is making Engytown. (Subtext: Why would you ever do that?!). Or even, "Take a Break"- Say breakfloor/breakwall/breakfall 100 times on the funserver. Stuff like that. I'll start a thread on the suggestions forum of the funserver.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18045
TF2Backpack
I make various SourceMod Plugins for TF2.
Also I fix things. And break things. No complaints.
Daedalus

Unread post by Daedalus »

Don't like it, personally, because stats leads to ranking, which leads to e-peen and people caring more about their rank than actually helping their team. Also, stats/rank are skewed towards those who spend more time on the server rather than actually reflecting skill (also doesn't reward teamwork).
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

@Daed
It proves of how often you come to the server and how much of a citizen(Or how much of a person with no life) you are.As long as it doesn't show your kd ratio,People aren't going to extremely care about it.
Kriegsmarine
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22107167

Unread post by Kriegsmarine »

Haunwulf wrote:@Daed
It proves of how often you come to the server and how much of a citizen(Or how much of a person with no life) you are.As long as it doesn't show your kd ratio,People aren't going to extremely care about it.

Haunwulf uses Resurrection
Haunwulf Rolls d6 for 2
Resurrection failed
Doke doke doke ushiro metai yatsu wa doke
Haunwulf
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:999999999

Unread post by Haunwulf »

I honestly thought Aug 8 2011 was when the post before mine was made.
Oh wait, I'm bumping this thread again. DAMN IT
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

nice going, Haun
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
Denzo
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:29304396

Unread post by Denzo »

krubby wrote:nice going, Haun

>:I
Kriegsmarine
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:22107167

Unread post by Kriegsmarine »

TheDenzo wrote:Image
krubby wrote:nice going, Haun

>:I

:I
Doke doke doke ushiro metai yatsu wa doke
krubby
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:24566857

Unread post by krubby »

Because this topic hasn't been bumped enough. Actually I'm doing this because there's some weird glitch going on where it shows the exclamation mark even after you viewed the topic, and it's happening for this one. The same thing happened for my hat thread, but I found out it goes away when someone makes a post, hence this pointless revival. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
"[melee fort]'s just like checkers; the first few times you play it it's fun and interesting, but after a while you just wan't vomit your guts out and die in the bile." -pcJDAWG
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:2945765

Unread post by Beetle »

just use the "mark all threads as read" option
Click Here to go to my Mapping Blog.
captainAngry
•cC• Founder
•cC• Founder

I'm bumping this thread again since I added stats. I think as long as there is a way to turn the chat messages off per user, we should be okay. Anyone being a dickhole about their rank should be gagged/muted.

I also increased the default number of kills you need to get regular points (you get way more points once this happens) to 125 (from 50). This means that someone would have to actually commit to playing on the server and have some vested interest before they would even start to be ranked any worthwhile level. I'm hoping this will help keep people from playing badly to whore kills (read, shit SGs that don't help win, but kill people enough to gain points, etc).

I have thought about disabling the chat messages globally, so that you don't get a constant feed of points filling the chat log. I believe there is a setting to turn messages off per user, so maybe that's all we will need.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

no reason to do this on the funserver. is it on the funserver?

and I support the stats btw, especially with how you said they need to play on the server a lot. It lets me identify who puts in a lot of time on the server and who is a new member.
LaN
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:26075035

Unread post by LaN »

Beetle wrote:no reason to do this on the funserver. is it on the funserver?
There's already some worry of useless teammates on the main server, imagine the fun server.

Then again, it's just in theory.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

LaN wrote:
There's already some worry of useless teammates on the main server, imagine the fun server.

To be honest, I've been on plenty of servers with stats, and no one ever mentions them while playing.
rudedog04
•cC• Member
•cC• Member
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:18753451

Unread post by rudedog04 »

Beetle wrote:
LaN wrote:

To be honest, I've been on plenty of servers with stats, and no one ever mentions them while playing.
To me, I always have loved the aspect of seeing your progress/stats in TF2 or rly in any game, but yea to have this on the funserver would be a waste of time, just saying,
And i agree, not a ton of talking usually happened when it comes to the stats. Occasionally ya but not so much to where it will become a problem....shouldnt be at least.
Image Image
Optimus Prime Rib
Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:16421049

Unread post by Optimus Prime Rib »

Either way, Warmonger will remain #1 for all time.
Beetle
•cC• Member
•cC• Member

Unread post by Beetle »

Optimus Prime Rib wrote:Either way, Warmonger will remain #1 for all time.
if he continues to play as often as he does, yes.